Gateway to Hope, a growing women’s health nonprofit organization based in the St. Louis region and serving women across the state of Missouri and in Southern Illinois, seeks a dynamic and ambitious leader to fulfill the role of Development and Communications Director. The organization is at a critical juncture, rapidly growing and expanding its services to further its impact and fulfill its mission. Importantly, GTH is committed to the growth and development of diverse talent in the nonprofit sector; thus, we seek a leader who brings a growth mindset to their work and has passion for learning, mastery and excellence in all that they do. And, GTH is committed to the development of this individual, providing supportive leadership, mentorship, on-the-job stretch assignments and formal professional development as needed. GTH seeks an individual who will demonstrate creativity, a willingness to bravely try new things and a commitment to quality work our mission and community deserve. Our commitment to this individual is a workplace committed to inclusion and equity, where this creativity and spirit can thrive.
The Leader of Development & Communications leads the fundraising strategy and efforts, including supporting communication and public affairs strategies at Gateway to Hope. This team is responsible for raising approximately $1 million – $1.5 million annually, with an emphasis on donor relationships and sharing the GTH story. As the organization grows, this annual fundraising goal will also grow, with opportunity to lead special campaigns in support of key initiatives and opportunity for further growth in leadership. This position generates new opportunities for Gateway to Hope in the community on a regular basis and this person emphasizes relationship and community-centric fundraising in all they do.
The individual who fulfills this role is energized by leadership of others, currently oversees a team of two staff, volunteers and contractors all accomplishing the critical fundraising work in support of the mission. They are adept at setting goals and possess the skills to leverage the strengths of others to accomplish those goals. They are also practiced at budget development and management, maintaining responsibility for overseeing department budgets which amount to approximately $150,000 in expenses annually including event budgets. Additionally, this individual will be energized by interaction with others and will relentlessly pursue relationships that will yield necessary resources to propel GTH’s work in the community. This person will represent Gateway to Hope at events and in the community, building and sustaining a community of supporters who invest in the mission of Gateway to Hope.
This position reports to the CEO and fulfills a key role on GTH’s leadership team, providing leadership and support to the agency’s strategic plan. The person in this role will be an active participant in agency culture and leadership, will interact regularly with board members and will be adept at articulating GTH’s vision and goals to inspire others to join our cause.
- Serve on the leadership team, shaping and leading organizational strategy
- Serve integral role in budget development and agency management on a regular basis
- Support the leadership of overall agency performance
- Implement and evolve the strategic plan for Gateway to Hope in the areas of fundraising, communications and public affairs
- Serve in a forward-facing capacity with community, the media and the general public, to position and strengthen Gateway to Hope’s name recognition and reputation in the community
- Cultivate and sustain relationships with a wide variety of constituencies including current and potential donors, foundations and government sources, local businesses and community partners
- Oversee fundraising efforts and actively pursue annual, major, campaign and planned gifts
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems
- Supervise and collaborate with other fundraising staff
- Oversee creation of publications, including digital communication strategy and implementation, to aid in communication and fundraising goals.
- Maintain gift recognition programs
- A bachelor’s degree and five or more years of development and fundraising experience.
- Solid, proven budget management skills including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting.
- Culturally competent and sensitive, responsive to the issues facing individuals of all backgrounds and experiences.
- Experience leading individuals or teams of volunteers/employees, exhibiting a high degree of emotional intelligence and strong abilities to motivate and inspire team members to work together, grow and excel.
- Exhibit strong commitment to learning, emphasizing continuous improvement in all activities.
- Able to uphold the core values of GTH at all times.
- Experience using data-driven process, and continuous improvement process, to drive results
- Five or more years’ experience in professional fundraising/development to include applied knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations with foundations, individuals, corporations, and other sources
- Experience, interest and a proven track record with major gift fundraising
- Strong written and oral communication skills and appropriate self-confidence and maturity so as to effectively communicate Gateway to Hope’s vision at all levels and across organizational lines in a manner inspiring to staff, board, donors and volunteers.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The annual salary for this position will be $70k-$75k. Additionally, GTH will pay 100% of this employee’s
PPO Health and basic term life insurance premiums which amounts to approximately $7,000 annually. This position is also eligible for participation in our retirement benefits plan, which includes a match of 3% in salary if the employee chooses to participate. This position is also eligible for immediate-upon-employment paid time off of 15 days (increasing with years of service); semi-annual agency holidays amounting to 20 days annually with opportunity to flex those days upon approval; professional membership, association and continuing education reimbursement; flexibility in working hours and location.
Supervises the development and communication team, volunteers and contractors.
This position operates in a professional office environment, as well as in a community context. This position also regularly interacts with community members and patients. Most work hours take place in the office and/or out of the office utilizing technology to achieve goals, while interacting regularly with the entire Gateway to Hope staff and community members.
Some light lifting and filing is required. This role routinely uses standard office equipment and technology.
POSITION TYPE & EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a nonexempt position averaging 40 hours per week. Hours of work primarily between 9:00AM and 5:00PM, Monday through Friday, with frequent weekend and evening commitments.
ABOUT GATEWAY TO HOPE:
Gateway to Hope is breast health lifeline. We believe that no one should have to choose between life-saving medical care and basic necessities. We know that these barriers to breast healthcare impact survival. That’s why we provide financial and navigation support during breast cancer treatment, so our recipients can access the care they need. We also lead community efforts to build greater access to affordable screenings and early detection options, focusing on systemic change within the healthcare environment to remove barriers to care. Based in St. Louis, Missouri, we serve communities across the state of Missouri and Southern Illinois. We believe in advancing health equity and are committed to building greater health equity in our communities. We are an equal opportunity employer and value the lived and learned experiences of all individuals. We place emphasis on creating a diverse environment – all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com